Saturday, June 17, 2017

Survived high school teaching!

The school year is finished and I am so happy! It was definitely a learning experience, a test of will and patience and I learned a lot. For example, how to be flexible. There are constant interruptions and unexpected elements when you teach and lots of little things that come up that you have to deal with instead of teaching. The clearest example that comes to mind happened just about a month ago. There were 6 girls who were downstairs in the bar having a snack instead of being in class and we were already 10 mins late. I suspected they were downstairs, so there I went! I found then, give them the "no no" finger and left. When we got back I proceeded to give them a disciplinary note. "But prof, it's only the first time it's happened!" Would you listen to that logic? These kids have no concept of being responsible for their actions. I said "and if I shot you in the leg would you wave punishment with the logic of it being "only the first time"? Please. As a result, all 6 got a lower grade for their behavior mark on their report card.

I am optimistic about the future. I am going to try and take advantage of the fact that we are in Rome and that there are plenty of jobs in my field. My goal is to finally be able to save up some cash instead of just living paycheck to paycheck. What is nice is that I have a job and that my current employer wants me back. This is good to know as others aren't so fortunate. I will however choose to reduce my high school hours and ask to continue my work in companies like I am doing now. Then I have my summer gig in England which is stressful but necessary and every year I wonder if it'll be my last. Ideally I'd love to just work 2 weeks there so for some extra cushion money. Who knows, maybe it'll be possible next year. Lastly, I am happy with my relationship with Valeria. She is a wonderful person and we have a possible future together. I still need time to be totally convinced but like the alcoholics say, one day at a time".

No comments:

Post a Comment