Saturday, January 7, 2017

First post 2017.

I have just got back from the USA and my Xmas vacations. They were quick, that's for sure but I am happier to be back this year than in past years. I like my life better this year than the previous one as I live in a better place, I make a bit more cash and I don't have as much stress like that I did in Ostia last year although Ostia was a constructive year, as painful as it was. It went fine this year in Connecticut. I didn't get into as many arguments with my parents although they were difficult as to be expected. I suppose you just need to pick your battles but at times its hard to avoid arguing with them. Although I must admit, what they call an argument for me is a simple disagreement or difference of opinion. I do hate seeing them age but then again I am ageing too!

Some of the highlights: For some reason, one of the first things that comes to mind is hockey. I went to see a Umass Amherst college hockey game and it was nice as there wasn't a lot of people and it was a chance to be with my dad. He criticized my driving on the way up, but he drives defensively and so anyone in comparison is a maniac! Anyway, they lost but it was a simple night. Then I went ice skating at Bolton Ice Palace and it was great. It made me wish I was still playing hockey as quite honestly it is one of the few sports that stimulate my senses and satisfy my need for, well, speed! But it was also emotional as I started playing there when I was 14 and I stopped 15 years ago. I'd def play again if I lived in the area and I think I'd play better as I am in better shape now. Seeing Tim's kids was nice as they are adorabile and full of energy. Tim remains one of my best friends and it's obvious why: he's a no bullshit guy, direct, honest and doesn't give a rats ass about being PC. Also he is a great mentor in the Catholic faith.

My parents rented me a car and it was a pretty sweet ride, a 2016 Dodge Charger. It was like I had my own car again and it's also something that I have dearly missed. Although you don't need a car per say here in Rome. New Year's was fine as I went to the old Rookie's in Cromwell and I didn't get drunk at all! I spent it with Rodrigo and it's always nice seeing him. I got to see Santos twice, Kim for a coffee and a round at Margherita's and I even saw Brianne this time and got to meet her fiancé, although I already knew him from high school. Xmas was fine except my allergies got the best of me. I must be allergic to the USA or more specifically, carpeting! I detest it and I find it useless. I was kinda sick at Xmas and the combination of jet lag didnt help! Yeah, it was fine this trip back and I got to spend plenty of time relaxing at home. I also took pics of Tolland as if I was a tourist. I visited the Benton Homestead, the cemetery near Crandalls park where I found 18th century gravestones and one who was at Lexington and Concord, and I took some shots of the town green.

Do I want to move back? Not right now and I say that every year. For now I am going to work till the end of the school year and then decide if my current job is worth another year here in Roma. As I get older moving back to the USA does appeal even more. Kim and AJ (my niece's husband) gave me some good career advice, alternatives to teaching which would be recruiting or working at a university but not as a teacher. For example, I could be an academic advisor. It's definitely something to think about. I just worry that moving back I'd regret it and I'd miss being Italian and soaking up the culture here. But I am getting to the point where I would and might choose a better paying job in the US over treading water here. I think each year that passes I think about it more. I enjoy my life here as Italy is my second home and I feel very Italianized. Just before I boarded the bus to the airport my dad said "It never gets any easier" and I was surprised he said that. I am guessing (hell I know) that the more time passes the more he wants me back. I understand his and my mom's thoughts, but I need to do what is best for me. I will in the end, I have made numerous changes in my life as I eventually leave bad situations when I feel it's in my best interest. Whether it's a bad idea to stay here I cannot say, but I will need to find more stability. I'd like for it be here but I can't make a single man's salary forever, especially if the good Lord blesses me with a wife and kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment