Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 year anniversary of 9/11

As I sit in my apt here in the center of ancient Napoli on this the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the USA, and also having just watched a movie dedicated to the passengers who overtook flight 93, I feel somewhat the same as I did 10 years ago when it happened. I awoke at around 9:30 am perhaps even 10 to see the towers crumble. Perhaps it was better that I didn't see the planes crash live on national TV. I am sad, I am shocked, I am also angry. I suppose now I can take some small satisfaction that Bin Laden is dead, the brains of that whole operation. When he was killed a few months ago, I actually wasn't happy simply because I looked at it from a Christian point of view.....in other words I can't picture Jesus Christ pulling the trigger on anyone, not even Hitler. But when I learned however, that the US military took him out as Osama shot back and reportedly shielded himself with a woman, then I thought this is self-defense which is different than shooting someone defenseless. So in the end Bin Laden was a coward. Good ridance, may God have mercy on his soul....if that's at all possible.

I am sure God had a reason for all this to happen which will become clear when we meet Him, but wow it is sure hard to make sense of all it while we are still alive. What I simply can't and have never been able to fathom is why anyone thinks they can kill in the name of religion. I can't think of any faith that tolerates the taking of a human life. Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace and I am sure it does not condone violence if followed correctly. I understood the hijackers motives; reaction to American imperialism all over the world, which I have heard the US is a bully in other countires, but the taking of innocent lives is simply never the answer.

God Bless the 9/11 victims.

No comments:

Post a Comment